Sunday, May 11, 2008

Hotel Session

While staying in a hotel recently (at the below-mentioned conference), I ended up doing an impromptu maternity session. A friend of mine was staying there and at the time was expecting twins, who were born just last week! She had not had pictures done and asked if I would be willing to do something for her quickly before we all retired for the night. It was 10:00 PM and we had nothing to work with other than the fairly "blah" hotel room, my camera and speedlight, and the clothing she had brought with her. We made the best of the situation, and rather than process the photos as I normally would, I played with Photoshop on a few of them.

The hotel room had plain white walls; here is one of the photos, which I digitally manipulated in two different ways to make it (hopefully!) appear as though we had more to work with than we did. Again, this is *not* something I normally do, but this was an unusual situation and I wanted to make the most of it.





...another, this one done as normal and converted to black and white:


I somehow managed to get 20 proofs out of the session, several of which I am pretty happy with, even if they do deviate a bit from my normal style. At the very least, anytime I'm faced with a challenging session I can remind myself: well, I did one in a hotel room at 10:00 at night once, with none of my backdrops and no planning; if I can handle that, I can handle anything!! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She looks great! You did well and glad you got another maternity session in even if it was in a "bland" hotel room!